Friday, January 28, 2011

Scientific Controversy Song

I mentioned recently that Kelli and I saw signs of cross-curricular learning in our last SciPlay project with our students. Today, I want to share that with you.

When I was walking through our school hallway, I stopped to admire Ms. Giglio's display of her 11th and 9th grade Musical Theatre classes' original songs based on an historical person or event. There were songs about Martin Luther King, Jr., and facebook, but then I saw a song called "Isaac Newton," written by Sekeena, Rolanda and Shayanne. All three girls are also involved in the SciPlay curriculum, and Sekeena had developed a monologue about Isaac Newton. What a great example of students using what they had learned in one class in an innovative way in another class! This really showed us that our students felt a level of mastery over their SciPlay content.

Here are the lyrics to the song, and if you click HERE, you can listen to an audio file of the song too!

Isaac Newton
by Sekeena, Rolanda and Shayanne

My name is Isaac Newton
I found the laws of motion
Yes, me, no commotion
I'm born on Christmas day
Yes, I'm born this way
I love the gravitation,
It is my inspiration

[Chorus]
Who? It's Isaac Newton
It's...It's Isaac Newton
Who? It's Isaac Newton

I love math, writing maybe
Science could be my baby
There's always a reaction
You go decide your action
Front back all around
What goes up will come down

[Chorus]

I got the best view
You wish you had it too
Admit, don't be defiant
I stand on all you giants
You build too many walls
And all those walls will fall
My theory's cold and frigid
Y'all need to build some bridges

[Chorus]

Don't wanna toot my horn
But ever since I'm born
I think without a guess
I'll say that I'm the best

[Chorus]

No comments:

Post a Comment